- Our welcome post is up on the NorthWrite website. We will be featuring the collaborative book Common Lives by Janice Marriott and Virginia Pawsey this week and will follow that with a look at the Tuesday Poem’s collaborative poem for their birthday celebrations. We will throw in book reviews and focus on various ways for writers to work collaboratively.
- We will open the collaborative competition in late August and it will close in November. This is open to anyone in New Zealand and neither party has to be a member of NZSA .
- Entries can be in story or poem form, or in a combination of the two:
- Story: Either one story (maximum 750 words) written collaboratively, or two stories (total word count not to exceed 750 words) where one has been written as a response to the other.
- Poem: Either one poem written collaboratively (maximum of 60 lines) or two poems (total number of lines not to exceed 60) where one has been written as a response to the other.
- Combination: One poem (maximum 30 lines) and one story (maximum 325 words) where one has been written in response to the other.
- Minimum prize pool $500. Entry fee $20 ($10pp).
- Our members’ survey should have arrived in members’ inboxs on Saturday 29 June. We would appreciate you taking one minute of your time to fill it in. If you haven’t received the survey please check your spam. Contact Kathy through northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com if you need to be resent the information.
- Jac and Sian who were placed on the long list for the NFFD competition. Jac pipped Sian at the post for the Northland regional award, making this the second year in a row she has won it. Double congratulations!
- Sian who was placed first in the Whangarei District Libraries NFFD competition.
- Please remember to tell us about your successes so we can celebrate them with you in PenNorth.
The Storylines 2013 Northland Family Day:
- Saturday 17 August from 10-2pm at Te Ahu Centre and the Kaitaia Library.
On a Mission by Shaun Davison:
- Members are warmly invited to Shaun’s book launch, 11am, Saturday, July 27, 2013 at the Old Library. Finger food, wine and juice will be served. On a Mission features the reflections of 22 former seminarians who were training to be priests in the Catholic Church at Mt St Mary’s Seminary, Greenmeadows, Hawkes Bay. The book examines why they chose this pathway, what their experience was like at the seminary and where their life journey has taken them since. If you would like to go please RSVP to northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com and Kathy will pass your name onto Shaun.
TEN MINUTE THEATRE:
- Anyone interested in Channel North’s Ten Minute Theatre should send character descriptions and the story line by 16 August. Projects chosen to proceed to script will be announced on 23 August. Writers will then have until 28 September to deliver their scripts – a nominal fee will be paid. If people have questions they can approach Gareth Mauchline who is the Channel North Producer involved on gareth[at]channelnorth[dot]co[dot]nz .
NZ Poetry Day, 16 August 2013:
- Probably at the Mokaba Café, Whangarei. We will keep you posted.
Northland Business Awards:
- These are open to individuals in the creative category. More information here or from the Chamber of Commerce.
The Book Show:
- Broadcast nationwide on SKY TV Channel 200 and on Freeview Satellite in three time slots per week. (Tues 8pm, Thurs noon, Sun 1.30 pm). The Book Show is of interest to anyone involved in the expanding New Zealand community of writers, publishers, marketers, retailers and readers. Each episode of The Book Show will feature a book review, world book news, and an interview with an author or person of interest to the book community. The Book Show is hosted by Neville Aitchison and co-hosted by John Reynolds, both of whom are experienced presenters with a broad knowledge of the literary communities. The Book Show is interested in featuring authors, or receiving news of literary activities from the wider community. Contact details from northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com