- We have an email loop for gossip, advice, research queries and anything writing-related. You are not automatically subscribed to this loop when you join NZSA. If you are interested in joining or want more information please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Remember to let us know of your achievements by emailing them to Kathy or to northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Use the Follow button on the right of this page to ensure you always receive up-to-date information.
- Trish Nicholson led a second workshop for the Kaitaia branch of the NZ Genealogy Society in March. This one was on theme, voice and structure. For anyone interested, she has posted the gist of this and an earlier workshop on her blog here:
- Derin has published her new book – The Sands of Valythia, the fourth in her Token Bearer series.
- Kath Wynn has started a legacy book for Hospice – a huge job that she has only six months to complete.
- Congratulations to Michelle Cumber who was the winner of our 2016 NZSA prize for the most outstanding student of the NorthTec Applied Writing course.
- The winner of the NorthWrite 2016 Competition is Sun Lyoung Kim. Sun has chosen to attend the Auckland Writers Festival. You can read her winning story and the judges’ comments here.
Please let Kathy or Margaret know if you have any achievements you would like to announce.
Why are you a member?
We would appreciate members writing a short paragraph outlining the advantages they enjoy as members to help promote NZSA among Northland writers. Please send your piece to Margaret or to the NZSA Northland email address: northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com. The information will be collated and used in press releases and leaflets.
We would like to encourage members to discuss their books on this site. You can have one book (or one series of books) featured in PenNorth (until all members have had an opportunity and then you are welcome to feature another one) which will also be displayed on our Books page here. Descriptions should be kept to around 200 words. If you are interested, please send an image of the cover and your description to Kathy or to northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com. Remember this is your forum. If you would like your book featured then please let us know.
Our May meeting is on Saturday 21 May in Kerikeri. The venue and directions will be included in the agenda. The meeting starts at 11am. Tea and coffee will be available at 10.30am. Dates for 2016 meetings can be found here.
Fast Fibres Poetry 3: Call for submissions
Fast Fibres Poetry Collective is producing a third collection to present the talents of Northland poets. It will be launched in print and online on National Poetry Day, August 26, 2016. We invite poets with a strong connection to Northland to submit up to 3 poems along with a two-line biographical statement.
Deadline: 19 May 2016
The Fast Fibres June speaker is Ron Riddell, a widely published New Zealand poet, currently living in Columbia.
Write Your Life: A Poetry Workshop with Amanda Eason
Participants will use their lives as raw material and will be guided through an interactive process with the result that everyone leaves with a fresh piece of poetry that has meaning for them.
Where: Piano Bar and Restaurant, Rust Avenue, Whangarei
When: Thursday 19 May 5–8pm
Amanda Eason returned recently from a 25-year O.E where she spent much of her time teaching poetry to primary school students in London. During that time Amanda became a distinguished and recognised poet, publishing four collections of her own work and contributing to countless other books, magazines and radio broadcasts. She now wants to share her literary experiences on the process and art of creative and poetic writing.
More Northland writing events and opportunities (including writers’ groups and information on the Whangarei Community Publications Trust) can be found here.
Northland Writing Groups
The National Office of NZSA is updating information about writers’ groups around the country. If you are a member of a writing group that would like to be listed on the NZSA website then please email us on northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com with the name of the group, contact details, venues and meeting times.
Competitions and Awards for Writers
For information on other competitions and awards please use NZSA’s Death by Deadline on the members-only page of the NZSA website.
Aesthetica Creative Writing Award 2016: Call for entries
The Aesthetica Creative Writing Award 2016 is now open for entries, presenting an opportunity for emerging and established writers and poets to showcase their work and further their involvement in the literary world. Now in its ninth year, the award is an internationally renowned prize, presented by Aesthetica Magazine and judged by literary experts.
Short fiction entries should be no more than 2,000 words. Poetry entries should be no more than 40 lines. Deadline for submissions is 31 August 2016.
To enter, visit www.aestheticamagazine.com/creativewriting