Amid the turmoil of emotions that has become part of daily life in a global pandemic, it almost feels intrusive to ask you to think about writing, yet the written word has never been so important. Our face-to-face opportunities to be together have vanished – the need to support each other hasn’t. NZSA will provide online experiences in place of planned public events. https://authors.org.nz/nzsa-webworkshops/
Next NZSA Northland Meeting
Saturday 18th April at 10.45 am by Zoom. The meeting link will be sent with the agenda. We hope as many as possible will join us.
- The Annual General Meeting of the Northland Branch of the NZSA was held at the Hikurangi Hall on Saturday 7th March. Welcome to our new chair, Justine Payen. Our sincere thanks to retiring Chair, Di Menefy who has given sterling service for many years
- Congratulations to the winner of the NZSA Northland short sentence/poetry competition, Megan Kemplay.
All workshops are currently scheduled to be run on Zoom1
$20pp per workshop2
16 May (1.00 – 3.30pm)
Presenter: Wendy Wickens
Topic: Blogging for Writers
18 July (1.00 – 3.30pm)
Presenter: Caroline Barron
Topic: Tell Your Story: How to Write Memoir
15 August (1.00 – 3.30pm)
Presenter: Lynn Jenner
Topic: The Essay: Exploring a Wide Canvas of Possibilities
17 October (half or full day event – TBA)
Presenters: To be confirmed
Topic: This event will be run in conjunction with Book Week and may take a different format to the other workshops
21 November (1.00 – 3.30pm)
Presenter: Wendyl Nissen
Topic: Writing for Magazines
- If we revert to physical venues the cost per person will be increased to take account of any venue costs.
- Minimum numbers will be set for workshops (whether on Zoom or in person). If this number isn’t met the workshop will be cancelled.
To stay informed follow us at https://northwrite.co.nz/. Updates will also be posted on the Writers Up North Facebook page.
- NZSARead – Blokes v Books is a joint initiative between NZSA and ReadNZ Te Pou Muramura
- Takahe Poetry competition is now open. Closes on 31st August.
- National Flash Fiction Day deadline has been extended to 30th April
- Aesthetica Creative Writing Award: The Aesthetica Creative Writing Award is now open for entries. Submit your #Poetry and #ShortFiction work and win £1,000 + publication within an inspiring anthology. Find out more: https://bit.ly/1NBc3Ov
A full list of Northland writing events, opportunities and writers’ groups can be found on the Northland Authors website.
Competitions and Opportunities
For information on other competitions and awards check out the Calendar of Opportunities on your NZSA website’s members-only page.
NEXT ISSUE OF PenNorth
We invite your participation: A link to your Blog, a video/audio recording of you reading your book/short story/poem, news, updates…
Please send us any little bits and pieces that you think might be useful for our Northland members. This includes any writing services you offer, links to useful (or fun) websites that you want to share, writing jobs you hear about, or even a request for a copy of an out-of-print book. Priority will be given to fresh content. Please refer to the contributors’ guidelines for requirements.
Please email Trish at northlandauthors[at]gmail.com if you have any announcements, items of interest or achievements you would like included in this monthly newsletter.
Please note that email addresses in this newsletter are shown
using “[at]” rather than “@”.
This is to avoid spamming issues that have occurred in the past.
Please modify the email address prior to emailing the person.