- The competition is open! Closes midnight 15 November 2013.
- Please enter!
- If you need a partner and you don’t have one, contact northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Please send out notification to anyone you think may be interested in entering.
- Michelle Elvy has had stories published in August story at Awkword Paper Cut and in the September issues of: Olentangy Review, A Minor Magazine and Prime Number Magazine.
- Joce Yeoman’s first sci-fi/fantasy novel in the Recon Saga – The Okian Legacy Episode 1 will be out as an ebook in the coming months. It’ll be available in a number of formats and through different sellers including: Amazon, Kobo, Apple iBookstore, Barnes and Noble as well as other outlets. 100Rails is her digital publisher and this is their first foray into ebook publishing.
- Zana Bell’s fifth novel, Close to the Wind – a NZ historical romantic adventure – is coming out early October in the US, UK, South Africa, Australia and NZ. Check out her posting on her publisher’s blog here.
- Anne McDonell received copies of her latest book yesterday – about the experience of having a husband with Alzheimer’s.
- Kath Wynn has just finished her fifteenth biography for Hospice.
- Lesley Marshall has been included in a list of recommended editors on a science fiction / fantasy website, recommended by Laura Resnick.
- Sian William’s fairy tale Scarlet and Jade is now up on the Goethe website.
Tips and Hints:
At the September meeting we discussed the importance of having manuscripts edited and assessed and discussed ways in which to protect yourself from unscrupulous practitioners. The NZ Society of Authors recommends using editors and assessors who are members of the NZAMA. Also check out these websites:
Flash Fiction Club: second Tuesday of every month, 5:30-7:30pm. Contact: Whangarei District Library for more information
CHART: If anyone is interested in having their name on the CHART artist database use the form sent with the September minutes. The current database is available to view here
Storyteller’s circle: An event for the whole whanau at Tuatara on Bank Street 5:30 –6:30pm (4th Wednesday of the month). Come with a story (less than 5 mins) up your sleeve on the selected theme. More information is available on their facebook page.
Stu Colson (graphic novelist) from HEROES FOR SALE will be at Whangarei Public Library November 9th, 11am-12pm. Entry fee applies.
MWWA Bronwyn Tate Memorial Short Story and Poetry Competition 2013:
Judges : Short Story – Jackie Davies, Poetry – Dr Bryan Walpert . Prizes: Short Story Open Section $200, Young Adult $100, Poetry Open Section $100, Young Adult $100. New Closing date: 14 October 2013 Conditions and entry forms available from: Email: alexdor[at]vodafone[dot]co[dot]nz