- There is a change in the venue for June meeting from the last minutes. It will now be held at Maungatapere.
- Meet your new committee here.
- We have an email loop for gossip, advice, research queries and anything writing-related. You are not automatically subscribed to this loop when you join NZSA. If you are interested in joining or want more information please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Remember to let us know of your achievements by emailing them to Kathy or to northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- There is a position on the NorthTec Applied Writing Local Advisory Committee currently open for an NZSA Northland branch representative. If you would like more information or would like to nominate someone for this position please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
2014 NZ Society of Authors National AGM 23-25 May
The Northland Branch is hosting the National AGM and the Society’s 80th birthday at the Riverbank Centre in Whangarei, over the weekend of 23–25 May. Events are open to all (except for the AGM itself) and include:
• Friday evening: Registration, drinks and nibbles (free to members)
• Saturday morning: AGM followed by our president Kyle Mewburn, talking about issues affecting writers (members only)
• Saturday afternoon: Workshops and activities
• Saturday evening: 80th birthday dinner with guest speaker, Janice Galloway
• Sunday: NorthWrite 2014 Workshop Series.
We are delighted to have Janice Galloway as our guest speaker on Saturday night. Janice is one of the UK’s most versatile and gifted writers, the author of memoirs, novels, short stories, non-fiction and collaborative works with visual artists and musicians. She is a Fellow at the Otago University, and comes to us after guest appearances at the Dunedin Writers and Readers Festival and the Auckland Writers Festival.
On Saturday afternoon Wellington writer Philippa Werry and Northland writer Diana Menefy are talking about ways to approach difficult or contentious topics. Philippa and Diana are writers of both fiction and non-fiction. They are also experienced researchers and will be happy to answer questions on their processes and methods of dealing with the issues discussed.
We are also offering a visit to Heritage Park to view Jane Mander’s study, Gustav von Tempsky’s writing desk, a video presentation of World War I poetry and other unexpected treasures.
On Sunday we are offering workshops on editing, the digital process, creating character, creative non-fiction, world building and Japanese poetry.
All workshop and event information is available at the NorthWrite2014 website.
Down load the registration from here: NW Registration Form
National AGM Help Required
Help is required for various set up and clean up duties. Please let Kathy know if you are available: kderrick[at]xtra[dot]co[dot]nz.
We also need a free standing whiteboard, a free standing projector screen and a drip coffee machine and/or largish coffee plungers. Please let Kathy now if you can lend any of these items.
Whangarei Libraries National Flash Fiction Day
This will run again this year. Details on the library website. There will be an awards evening with panel discussion Wednesday 25 June.
Whangarei Poetry Evenings:
Offering regular (monthly) and openly public opportunities for all poets, potential poets and audiences to share and enjoy live poetry readings, workshops, guest visiting poets, and feedback.
Te Studio, Whangarei, from 6pm to 9pm on the following dates, subject to confirmation.
22 or 29 May
Koha at the door. For more information contact pietn[at]outlook[dot]com
NZ Book Month
NZ Book Month will not take place in 2014, and will now re-launch in August 2015 with an exciting new brand and campaign.