- We have an email loop for gossip, advice, research queries and anything writing-related. You are not automatically subscribed to this loop when you join NZSA. If you are interested in joining or want more information please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Remember to let us know of your achievements by emailing Kathy or northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Use the Follow button on the right of this page to ensure you always receive up-to-date information.
Our next meeting will be held on Saturday 19 August, from 11am in Maungatapere (refreshments available from 10.30am). Venue to be advised.
- Derin Attwood’s latest book, The Burl of Meglinor, the fifth in The Token Bearers series, has been published and received good reviews.
- Kathy Derrick has been awarded a Masters in Creative Writing from the University of Edinburgh.
- Trish Nicholson has returned from a successful book tour in the UK and Isle of Man, where the five venues were well attended and she enjoyed encouraging book sales. The full text of her talk and readings from ‘Story-power: Why We Need it to Survive’, is now posted on her blog, Words in the Treehouse.
- Karen Phillips has published a story in the new Cloud Ink anthology, Fresh Ink. The book launch is on Friday 18 August at 6.00pm at The Loft, Q Theatre, Queen Street, Auckland (next to the Town Hall).
21st Anniversary of Northland Branch
The Northland Branch 21st Anniversary will be held on Saturday, 2 December 2017 at The Orchard in Whangarei. We will let you know further details closer to the time. Please contact Di if you have any old photographs of branch activities to share.
- Poets at ONEONESIX will be held at 116 Bank Street, Whangarei, on Thursday, 17 August at 5pm. Gold coin door entry.
- Fast Fibres Poetry Four is the fourth volume of an annual anthology of poetry by Northland poets. This year over forty Northland poets with a diverse range of styles, experience and backgrounds are included. Fast Fibres Poetry Four will be launched in Whangarei on Thursday 17 August at ONEONESIX Bank Street, from 5–8pm.
- National Poetry Day 2017 will be held at Kings Theatre Creative, Kawakawa on Sunday 27 August and will include a launch of Fast Fibres Poetry Four and an open mic from 1.30 to 4pm. Entry $5.
Writers’ 3-day Northland Residential Workshop with author, Linda Hansen
Friday 22–Sunday 24 September 2017. For new and experienced writers. Limited numbers. $220 accommodation and food plus dana/koha for the teacher. Details and bookings at http://www.tushitamysteryschool.co.nz/writers-retreat-weekend/
Meet Tui Stonnell/Kate Stirling
A full list of Northland writing events and opportunities (including writers’ groups and information on the Whangarei Community Publications Trust) can be found here.
2017 Romance Writers of New Zealand Conference
SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR NZSA MEMBERS
The 24th RWNZ Conference will be held in Rotorua from Friday 18th to Sunday 20th August 2017. We are delighted to be able to offer a special discounted rate for NZSA members. NZSA discount coupon codes were sent out in an email to members in June. If you did not receive them, please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com for a copy of the codes.
Takahē Monica Taylor Poetry Prize 2017
Takahē is currently accepting entries for its poetry competition to be judged by Elizabeth Smither. Unpublished poems of up to 50 lines long on any theme will be accepted. Entry Fee: $5 per poem. More details are available at www.takahe.org.nz.
Competitions and Awards for Writers
For information on other competitions and awards please use NZSA’s Death by Deadline on the members-only page of the NZSA website.
Aesthetica Creative Writing Award Call for Entries
The 11th Aesthetica Creative Writing Award is now open for entries. This presents an opportunity for emerging and established writers and poets to showcase their work to new international audiences and further their involvement in the literary world. Short fiction entries should be no more than 2,000 words. Poetry entries should be no more than 40 lines. Works previously published are accepted. Deadline for submissions is 31 August 2017. For full entry requirements and to submit, visit www.aestheticamagazine.com/cwa