- We have an email loop for gossip, advice, research queries and anything writing-related. You are not automatically subscribed to this loop when you join NZSA. If you are interested in joining or want more information please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Remember to let us know of your achievements by emailing them to Kathy or to northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Margaret Cahill has been appointed to the NorthTec Applied Writing Local Advisory Committee as the NZSA Northland branch representative.
- A few Kerikeri writers are toying with starting a writing hub one night a month, where writers can get together to discuss writing matters. If you are a Bay of Islands writer and would be interested in meeting up once a month please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com – no business meetings, we promise!
- Another hub, Poets Exposed, is a poetry group that meets once a month in Whangarei at Te Studio in the Old Library. People come from as far away as Dargaville and the Hokianga. Next date: Thursday 24 July, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Narine Groome has had a play staged by the Te Aroha Dramatic Society. ‘Finding a Voice’.
- Donna Blaber has received a thank-you letter from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for the ‘Kiwi Critter’ book given to baby George as a gift.
- Heather Whelan has had articles published in the last four issues of Motorhomes, Caravans and Destinations magazine, and in RV Motorhomes Life Style magazine.
- Maureen has had a haibun published in the June issue of Haibun Today
- Jac Jenkins has won the Northland Branch Flash Fiction Award for the third year in a row. Congratulations, Jac.
- Congratulations also to Daphne de Jong who placed fourth in the Whangarei District Libraries Flash Fiction Competition
With NorthWrite2014 behind us we are now looking for ideas for 2015. This will be a low-key year but we still want an exciting project that will appeal to both Northland members and the wider national writing community. We have some ideas so far: one-on-one workshop/mentoring, a competition, orbital critique service, online workshops, etc. If you have any ideas or anything in particular you would like to see us focus on please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
Storylines is in Whangarei this year on Saturday 30 August, 10am – 2.00pm. Please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com if you are interested in being a minder for visiting authors.