- We have an email loop for gossip, advice, research queries and anything writing-related. You are not automatically subscribed to this loop when you join NZSA. If you are interested in joining or want more information please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Remember to let us know of your achievements by emailing them to Kathy or to northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- A few Kerikeri writers are toying with starting a writing hub one night a month, where writers can get together to discuss writing matters. If you are a Bay of Islands writer and would be interested in meeting up once a month please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com – no business meetings, we promise!
- Dargaville writers are looking to set up a hub for children’s picture book writers. Contact northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com for more details.
- Another hub, Poets Exposed, is a poetry group that meets once a month in Whangarei at Te Studio in the Old Library. People come from as far away as Dargaville and the Hokianga. Next date: Thursday 21 August 6-8pm. Fast Fibres Poetry Chapbook will also be launched at this time.
- Lesley Marshall has made some wonderful book earrings. They will be for sale on the website shortly as a branch fundraiser – watch this space!
- Phyll has had three stories published in More True Tales of Great Barrier, compiled by The Great Barrier Island History Research Group Inc.
- One of Janine’s mentees has just had her book published.
- Di Menefy was part of the launch for Scholastic’s Kiwis at War series. She is one of five authors contributing to series and all gave a presentation on the history behind their novels. It was well attended, with fabulous feedback from attendees (including Trelise Cooper). Susan Brocker’s Riding to War was launched at the event and Di’s book Wounds of War will be launched next year to coincide with ANZAC commemorations in 2015.
- With NorthWrite2014 behind us we are now looking for ideas for 2015. This will be a low-key year but we still want an exciting project that will appeal to both Northland members and the wider national writing community. We have some ideas so far: one-on-one workshop/mentoring, a competition, an orbital critique service, online workshops, etc. If you have any ideas or anything in particular you would like to see us focus on please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
- Storylines is in Whangarei this year on Saturday 30 August, 10am – 2pm. Please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com if you are interested in being a minder for visiting authors/illustrators: Kyle Mewburn, Mark and Rowan Sommerset, Sandra Morris, Maria Gill and perhaps Stacy Gregg.
National Poetry Day
- National Poetry Day is on Friday 22 August at the Old Stone Butter Factory, Whangarei. For more details please email northlandauthors[at]gmail[dot]com.
Auckland Independent Book Festival
- The first Auckland Independent Book Festival will be held at Devonport St Paul’s, 100b Victoria Rd, Devonport, Auckland on Saturday 16 August from 10am – 4pm. Free entry.
Competitions and Awards:
- For information on other competitions and awards please use NZSA’s Death by Deadline. Also make use of the NZSA website to find out what’s on.